The Law Society’s Conveyancing Quality Scheme (CQS) provides a recognised quality standard for residential conveyancing.
The scheme was founded in 2010 and was designed to help firms demonstrate their compliance with industry standards and best practice approaches, it also acts as a signature for excellent client service and identifies which firms are able to satisfy regulators, lenders and insurers. Thereby making it a common goal across firms to secure their place in the competitive rankings in one of the most saturated legal markets.
As a member of CQS, firms have always been required to undertake mandatory training and historically this has been exclusively provided by The Law Society, the scheme’s own accreditor. However, The Law Society are re-launching CQS in an attempt to refresh the accreditation and to achieve the following:
- Provide better support to members
- Improve best practice
- Improve client service
- Improve practice management
In August 2018 The Law Society relaunched the CQS training and Riliance is now one of three authorised training providers that can supply the mandatory training required by firms. This shift will allow firms to choose the best training to suit their practice and creates competitiveness to deliver the best service.
There are currently four mandatory training courses that a firm must complete to comply with the rules of the accreditation, these are as follows:
- Core Training – Role of the Senior Responsible Officer (SRO) – This course must be taken within 6 months of obtaining accreditation and is only needed to be taken once in the lifetime of the accreditation unless there is a change of the SRO
- Core Training – Financial Crime – This course must be completed within 6 months of the accreditation and new employees must complete the training within 6 months of joining the firm, however they do not need to do this if the training was completed at their previous firm
- 2018 Update – Conveyancing Practice
- 2018 Update – Risk and Compliance
- Core Training – Protocol in practice – This will not be released until April 2019 and will not be mandatory until this time.
There is also one optional training course:
- CQS – Core Practice Management Standards
It is important to note that firms do not have to use the same provider for all of the mandatory courses, a firm can mix and match to suit their needs. However, wherever the training is supplied from, all relevant members of staff must undertake this mandatory training, relevant members of staff constitute any conveyancers within the firm regardless of their status and qualification. However, due to the relaunch in August 2018 firms will have different periods in which they can complete the training, this is set out below:
- Practices accredited/re-accredited from 1st November 2017 – 31st July 2018 must complete the training within 6 months of the training being launched
- Practices accredited post 1st August 2018 will have 6 months from the date of accreditation to complete the training
If you think you need more assistance with your CQS accreditation or training needs, our team are available to help you further. Please contact the team on 01829 731 200, email us via firstname.lastname@example.org or use the following link to visit our website for more information:
Author: Laura Griffiths